Sunday, April 4, 2010

Facebook and Old Geezers

We are in the process of getting our Plumbing Heating and Cooling Company Web Page up and running on Facebook, and I am wondering like many others just how to use it in an effective manner for our business. I must admit I do not get all of this Social Media stuff, I mean how much free time do these people have on their hands to be able to post so much personal trivia? However, I believe you cannot just ignore Facebook, as my own experience with Google has shown me how powerful the Internet can be.

A few short years ago, I never even heard of Google, and now I probably use it 5 or 10 times a day. The fact is I just no longer use the Yellow Pages, as I can find anything I need on Google in a few seconds. Obviously, I am not alone in this, as Google has surely taken world by storm, and now Facebook has even surpassed them as far as users go. As for the Yellow Pages, I heard the other day that a Yellow Page Rep said he felt the Yellow Pages as we know them would be gone in 3 years. I do not know if that will be the case, but to me there is no doubt that they are dying a slow death mainly due to the Internet.


One thing driving me in this, is that I am keenly aware of how many people and their companies have failed over the years due to not keeping current with all of the new prospects and possibilities that come along and are necessary for continued success with progress. Change is not easy for many people, as it is just so easy to hang on to what you have done in the past, rather than looking for new and better ways of doing things.

I am also following all of the posts concerning Facebook on the Service Round table, and I am getting some great feedback there. So far, my thinking is to put our company URL Link on our Facebook page, to direct people there, as well as having a discount coupon they can download and printout. I am sure I will discover much more about this Facebook thing as I go along, and it will become one more arrow in quiver of modern day marketing and advertising.

Just my thoughts,

Gene B

No comments:

Post a Comment