Monday, December 14, 2009

The Math of Achievement


I don't know who figures stuff like this out, but I bet it was either someone attending a meeting that lasted too long or someone waiting for Windows to reboot. Anyway, this is based on an email I received...

How do you give 100% in life? It's not merely hard work. All of us know people who work hard their entire lives without ever achieving much. Hard work may get you most of the way there, but there must be something more.

Certainly knowledge is important. I can think of many times in my life where I worked hard, but not smart. I didn't know better ways to get something done. Once someone showed me a better way, I was able to get more done for the same amount of effort.

However, even knowledge and hard work is not sufficient. Together, they can get you close to 100%, but something's still missing. What's missing is attitude. Without the right attitude, you'll never give 100% in life. And you'll never receive life's full bounty in return.

Here's a way to illustrate it mathematically...

First, we convert the letters of the alphabet to numerical values:

A = 1
B = 2
C = 3
D = 4
E = 5
F = 6
G = 7
H = 8
I = 9
J = 10
K = 11
L = 12
M = 13
N = 14
O = 15
P = 16
Q = 17
R = 18
S = 19
T = 20
U = 21
V = 22
W = 23
X = 24
Y = 25
Z = 26

Now, we assign the values to each letter in the words hard work, knowledge, and attitude.

H = 8
A = 1
R = 18
D = 4
W = 23
O = 15
R = 18
K = 11

K = 11
N = 14
O = 15
W = 23
L = 12
E = 5
D = 4
G = 7
E = 5

A = 1
T = 20
T = 20
I = 9
T = 20
U = 21
D = 4
E = 5

Finally, add up the numeric totals for each word and divide by 100. Hardwork = 96%. Knowledge = 98%. Attitude = 100%.

Sure, it's a mere coincidence, but it illustrates the point well. Hard work gets you close. Knowledge gets you closer. But you'll never give or receive 100% without the right attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment